Monday, October 8, 2012

Crayon Art

Melted crayon art.

We've all seen it on Pinterest and think it is really cool, but we never sit down and do it.  Turns out, it is such an easy thing to do!

I had the morning off and would be near a Hobby Lobby after running errands, so I figured, why not? 

All I needed was a canvas, crayons, hot glue, and a blow dryer. I bought two different sized canvases, but I went with the bigger one. I went a little overboard on Crayons. I bought two boxes of 96 and one box of 24.  I would suggest getting two boxes of 48, or one of 64 and one 24. It helped to have an idea of what colors I wanted to use, and I wanted to make sure that I had a good range of shades.

From there it was pretty simple. 



This was my first arrangement. I played around with colors and the groupings for a while before I started gluing. 


Once I decided my pattern, it was time to glue. I made sure to start gluing my crayons an inch or so away from the edge. This was the most tedious part of the project, but it didn't take longer than 10 minutes. 



Next step: melting! I set up outside and set out plenty of news paper. Melting was easier than I expected. I made sure to keep the blow dryer moving and pointed straight at the crayons. It also helped to blow dry straight down from the top of the crayon. From there, I kept going until it looked how I wanted. The wax dries quickly, but when I wanted it to melt lower on the canvas, it just took a little blow drying. 

Very easy!



This is my finished project. I love it! Overall, from beginning to end, it took less than an hour! A perfect mid-morning craft. 

I can't wait to do more! I definitely have plenty of left over crayons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment